Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort version comparisons

From: "Crow, Owen" <Owen_Crow () bmc com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:19:02 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Erek Adams [mailto:erek () theadamsfamily net]

[snip]

      Realistic note:  Is there any reason _not_ to upgrade?

Historically, anything x.0 is less stable than the release before it.  Those
who do not remember history, etc...  I waited until 1.8.1 to jump on the 1.8
bandwagon, and I am very glad I did.

Am I running 1.9.0 anywhere (read testing)?  Sure.  Am I rushing to install
it on my globally distributed infrastructure with dozens of sensors?  No.

It would be nice to have two "stable" versions supported with current
signatures, but I guess it's nicer still to have a free usable solution
(read, thanks Marty, Chris, et. al.).

Regards,
Owen
[speaking for myself only]