Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problems starting snort

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:28:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, dhobson wrote:

Fairly inexperienced with snort as well as linux (mandrake linux 9.0).
 After reading the documentation on snort I downloaded snort, vs 1.9.0,
along with the other required programs.  I edited the various files to
suit my setup.  To test snort I typed " /usr/local/bin/snort -A full -b
-c /etc/snort/snort.conf -d -i eth2 -s -D" on the command line.  After I
receive Initialization Complete and 3 lines referring to the version and
builder the program halts and the cursor is at the beginning of a line
that does not have a prompt.  To get back a prompt I used Control C
which displays a table: Breakdown by Protocol,  Wireless Stats,
Fragmentation Stats andTCP Reassembly Stats then the prompt.

My problem is why is the program halting and how do I correct it?

It's not halting.  It's running in the foreground.

Easy fix is to add -D to the command line.  Check the output of snort -? and
the man page for details.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams