Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql_error: Access denied for user: 'snort@192.168.1.30' (Using password: YES)

From: Robby Desmond <rdesmond () els ucsb edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:14:23 -0700

At 11:38 AM 10/12/02 -0400, Sujit Pal wrote:
Hi,

I am a first time user. I set up SNORT on a system with Linux 7.3 and mysql
client snort/mysql client).

1) I could not find the latest and good snortd file. Where can I get it or
can someone mail me a copy.

Um...you could write your own. They're not that hard. I can't help on this one. I'm using FreeBSD.

My configuration has two systems .

The Mysql database and acid is on another system (acid/mysql server)

When i connect from the client to the server using command as below the sql
command works.

> mysql --host=192.168.1.55 --user=snort --password=123qwe
iam able to access the database and see tables etc.

Which machine do you issue the mysql command from, the DB server or some other machine that is already in your mysql "hosts" table perhaps? Have you tried doing this from the snort box?

But when I try through snort command line it fails to use the database. I
have set the snort.conf file with the option to use the same server , user,
password and database as above. But the snort fails to start properly. It
fails with error mentioned below.
I a have set the passwords for MySql as specified in the Snort Installation
Manual by Steven J Scott.

Do I need to give grants for snort@192.168.1.30 which is my client system .
Where is the command taking the PASSWORD YES from.

<SNIP!>

database: mysql_error: Access denied for user: 'snort@192.168.1.30' (Using
password: YES)
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Yes. You need to allow user "snort" to connect from 192.168.1.30. How you wish to go about doing so is up to you, but I would recommend reading up on how the mysql permission tables interact. www.mysql.org is your friend.

Short answer: yes.
-Robby

Robert Desmond
Systems Administrator