Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscan preprocessor and false positives

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:54:24 -0700 (PDT)

On 15 Oct 2002, Ben Keepper wrote:

I didn't see this covered in the FAQ.

Well...  Might want to read closer next time.  ;-)

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#3.7
http://www.theadamsfamily.net/~erek/snort/ignore.txt

To be more specific:  Depending on what and how you want to ignore things, you
might have to use multiple ways.  You might need to use BPF or you might just
want a pass rule.  Since it's the portscan(2) preprocssor you should be able
add in the portscan(2)-ignorehosts line and all should be well.

Check the archives at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&r=1&w=2 and
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-devel&r=1&w=2 for a recent discussion on
that.

I could be wrong, but I think that portscan2-ignorehosts isn't quite working
at 100%.  Again, that's IMHO so it isn't gospel.

Good luck!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy