Snort mailing list archives

Re: Off topic a little - usage by port?

From: Skip Carter <skip () taygeta com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:10:49 -0700

From: Rich Adamson
Sent: October 22, 2002 11:10 AM
To: Snort Users Postings
Subject: [Snort-users] Off topic a little - usage by port?

I know this is a little off topic, but the folks that hang out here
may know...

I'm looking for a software app that can be used to monitor all traffic
mirrored from a switch port (as an example), that would accumulate
usage statistics by IP and tcp/udp port number. It would be great if
the app could be configured to gather stats for "either" source port
or destination port. Logging the usage stats to a file on some
predetermined interval would be helpfull.

Example:
  Source IP       Proto Dest Port Packets
  --------------- ----- --------- ---------
  123.123.123.123 udp   53        452
                  tcp   445       10
                  tcp   110       4,000
                  tcp   80        1,234
                  icmp  ---       22

Does anyone know of such an app or have any thoughts about something
that might be close that I can modify to do this?

Doesn't need to be pretty, and I don't care if it runs under Linux or
Win2k; either would be fine.

        ipaudit (ipaudit.sourceforge.net) does a very good job of
  providing this kind of summary.  The associated package
  'ipaudit-web' gives a Web based interface to the summary data.
  Its standard practice here for us to install both snort and ipaudit
  on any IDS system that we deploy.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skip () taygeta com