Snort mailing list archives

Re: False positives

From: Gary Verhulp <garyv () cips nokia com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:40:57 -0700

That's what I'm sayin'
:)
I've determined that I have a false positive i.e. I've examined the packets and I have reliable instances of False positives.

For instance <possible  .scr worm> is triggered by .scr
which, as I understand it, reads as any character followed by "scr"

Anytime someone gets mail with HTML embedded that has the word "screensaver" or something like that triggers the alarm. I have a bunch of instances that I've determined to be false positives. I just wanted to know if the people who maintain the signature database want this info. If so what information should I provide, in what format, and whom do I send it to.

Thanks

Gary

Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
IMHO, you shouldn't just dismiss alerts as false positives, you determine if its a false positive by investigating. If you have investigated before, and still are getting alerts, then you can pretty much dismiss those (be warned). As to your e-mail, I really don't get what your trying to say. Snort reports on the rules you tell it to check packets against, that simple. The ones you define in your snort config. (ie snort.conf).

Hope it Helps

   - Albert

Gary Verhulp wrote:

How does wone report false positives for rules.

What info do you need to include.

Thanks

Gary