Snort mailing list archives

Using generalised rules to activate bulk rules

From: "Sean Wheeler" <s.wheeler () netprotect ch>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:13:55 +0200

Hi,

I have been fondling with the idea of setting a generalised rule looking for
http based traffic, once it is triggered then it activates the relevant
sybset of rules.

for example

 activate tcp any any -> any http (activates:1)

then it calls

dynamic any any -> any any (msg:"WEB-PHP php.exe access";
flow:to_server,established; uricontent:"/php.exe"; nocase;
reference:url,www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2002/Jan/1003104.html;
classtype:web-application-activity; sid:1773; rev:3; activated_by:1)

next 50 odd rules applicable to activation rule 1 here

next activation rule ()
next set of dynamic rules ()

etc..etc..

Problem is that the activate rule as it is presently designed will create an
alert which is not desired ( every http packet will get logged)

It would be kinda a hybrid of pass & activate would do the trick.

The concept is a little different from tagging as my understanding has it,
as I don't want to log more packets, just activate certain rules when a
activation rule is triggerd

I idea basically is that for the 1700+ rules you can use ~30 activation/pass
hybrid which would call the rest of the rules.
So in effect you would only have ~30 rules which snort has to burn through
for each and every packet, and on the off chance that an activation hybrid
is triggered the 100+ rules relevant to that activation rule are processed.

No doubt this has probably come up before, but I seem to have missed the
thread.

Any thoughts on the subject or am I beating a dead horse ?

regards

Sean