Snort mailing list archives

300,000 alerts in Database from spp_asn1

From: Nicholas Bachmann <nbachmann () mail davison k12 mi us>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:10:20 -0400

Through some weirdness, spp_asn1 on Snort 1.9 has flooded my PostgreSQL database with over 300,000 alerts (which seem to be false-positive, or at least not malicious), which has not made the DB very happy :-). The actual probem is peripheral to my actual question, but I'm sure somebody is interested; I will provide details on or off list. My questions is this: how does one go about deleting those 300,000 alerts. Just doing a delete in ACID doesn't cut it; I left it deleting over a weekend and that didn't work (probably timed out) and while deleting no alerts are able to be added to the database, and I can't check it anyway (transaction block?).
   Any ideas?

--
        Regards,
        Nick