Snort mailing list archives

RE: rule+snort updates?

From: "Gonzalez, Albert" <albert.gonzalez () eds com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:33:55 -0500

How will this script rewrite snort.conf ?

Maybe i don't know bash, but i see nothing there.

---script---
#!/bin/bash
# Update rules
cd /tmp         * changing directories*
rm -rf rules    * removing previous rules if they exist*
/usr/bin/wget http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortrules.tar.gz  *wget'ing
snortrules (old URL)*
tar -xvzf snortrules.tar.gz     * decompressing archive *
mv /tmp/rules/* /etc/snort/rules        * move rules to your rules
directory, assuming you use /etc/snort/rules *
---end script---

I personally don't see how that will overwrite snort.conf.

I suggest using oinkmaster to update your rules, its alot better than this
bash script.
Or you can manually do it, it isn't really all that hard.

Cheers
  Alberto Gonzalez.