Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not logging....

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 15:16:46 -0500

Mike Koponick wrote:
Hello,

I know this has been discussed, and discussed... but I'm a little lost.

I have SNORT configured to log to /var/log/snort/snort.log, however,
everything goes to var/log/messages instead. I would rather keep the Snort
logs seperate for parsing purposes.

I'm running RH 8.0 and Snort 1.9.

Here is a glimps into my config:

In my snort.conf file I have:
# alert_syslog: log alerts to syslog
# ----------------------------------
# Use one or more syslog facilities as arguments
#
output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT

Well, here you are telling Snort that all alerts should get logged via your systems syslog mechanism.

Here is my startup script:
INTERFACE=eth1
CONFIG=/etc/snort/snort.conf
# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting snort: "
        ifconfig $INTERFACE promisc
        daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -U -o -z -i $INTERFACE -d -D -c
$CONFIG -l /var/log/snort/snort.log

And here you are telling Snort to use the directory "/var/log/snort/snort.log" for any *files* it creates for alerts and packet logs.

So, you need to either change Snort to use a different output mechanism (such as alert_fast or alert_full) or edit /etc/syslog.conf to direct syslog notices to the AUTH facility with the ALERT priority to a file other than messages (which may also cause *other* programs to send message there). From what little you have said about what you want, I would suggest doing the following:

1) Comment out the "output alert_syslog" line in snort.conf
2) Add this line to snort.conf:

    output alert_fast: snort.log

3) Change the argument to -l in the startup script to "/var/log/snort"
4) Make sure the directory /var/log/snort exists.

-A