Snort mailing list archives

RE: A Couple of Questions

From: "Lars Borland" <lborland () TriadAssoc com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:42:16 -0800

There is software like WildPacket's EtherPeek that is able to detect
"error packets".  I imagine a failing NIC would generate lots and
therefore give itself away.  I understand what Eli is saying regarding
this but, depending on the errors, I'd think some of them would make it
to the IP layer.

I also just read this off the WildPackets/EtherPeek site and I think I
may be wasting my time with this...  "Error Packet Capture:  EtherPeek
has the ability to capture error packets on the network. These errors
include: Runt, Oversize, Frame Alignment, and CRC. Most adapters on the
market discard error packets automatically. To capture errors, you must
use one of the supported error capture cards with a special WildPackets
driver installed."  If most modern NICs discard error packets then
there's neither any harm done nor will any error packets be seen by
Snort prior to being discarded (without the spiffy/castrated NIC and
WildPackets Drivers(TM) that is).  Thanks for bearing with me regarding
this.

Talk to you all later, Lars.