Snort mailing list archives

Re: Access denied for user: '@192.168.0.1' -SNORT-

From: "Kenneth G. Arnold" <bkarnold () cbu edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:38:35 -0600

It looks like the host where this snort process is trying to run does not have write access to the mysql database located at 192.168.0.69 connecting as user sensor1. Is 192.168.0.1 the host where snort is actually running? I am confused as to why the error message doesn't mention user sensor1@192.168.0.1 if that is the case. There doesn't appear to be a user specified in the error message yet the log shows that it knows the user is sensor1. Anyway, you need to make sure that the MySQL database has write permission for user sensor1 connecting from 192.168.0.1 (or wherever your snort machine is located). Page 19 of the Snort Installation Manual for Snort, MySQL and ACID on Redhat 7.3 describes how to do this for a user snort from both the localhost and from all hosts. I would recommend that you only allow access from the specific hosts that need it. That documentation is located at http://www.snort.org/docs/snort-rh7-mysql-ACID-1-5.pdf

Ken