Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql_error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

From: "Andy Dales" <andy_dales () cooperators ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:42:06 -0600

I just dealt with the same thing today - looks like it's fairly common when
using mysql as installed by whatever linux distro you use.  I yanked what
was on there and downloaded the rpms from the mysql site and everything
works fine now.
Tons of hits on google:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q
=%22lost+connection+to+mysql+server+during+query%22&sa=N&tab=wg&meta=

|--------+--------------------------------------->
|        |          "Ben Swaby"                  |
|        |          <BSwaby@InvestmentScorecard.c|
|        |          om>                          |
|        |          Sent by:                     |
|        |          snort-users-admin@lists.sourc|
|        |          eforge.net                   |
|        |                                       |
|        |                                       |
|        |          02/11/2003 01:19 PM          |
|        |                                       |
|--------+--------------------------------------->

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |      To:     <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
     |
  |      cc:
  |
  |      Subject:     [Snort-users] mysql_error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have been using Linux for only 2 weeks so my question may be an easy
answer (I hope).

Running
- Redhat 8
- Snort 1.9.0
- MySQL 3.23.54a-4
- Webmin 1.060
- P4 2.4Ghz, 512mb RAM

Currently I have successfully installed snort, ACID, MYSQL, and Webmin
using Steven J. Scott's paper " Snort Installation Manual - Snort,
MySQL, Redhat 7.3 " on a Redhat 8.0 box(PC1).  My main problem is when I
setup a new snort box to log information to the main database (PC1) I
get the following error when I run

Command
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

Error returned
database: mysql_error:  Lost connection to MySQL server during query

In the snort.conf file I have specified

Output database: log, mysql, user=snort password=xxxxxxxx dbname=snort
host=10.1.0.61 sensor_name=624Snort port=3306

Location
Currently both snort boxes are on the same switch in the same VLAN.

As far as I know I don't have any firewall software turned on in mySQL.
I have also run a port scan on PC1 and verified that port 3306 is open.

I have searched the forums and found some things but nothing seem to
help.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Ben Swaby