Snort mailing list archives

Re: Start snort deamon at boot time

From: Saad Kadhi <saad () docisland org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:35:45 +0100

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 11:37:16AM +0100, Michael wrote:
I'm using Snort 1.9.0 with ACID v0.9.623 and Snortcenter 1.0.

How can I start the snort daemon at system boot time automatically?
It should use the sensor parameters configured in Snortcenter.
depending on your operating system, you will have to create or  activate
an rc script to start snort and any companion software that may need  to
be activated at boot time.

for ex., redhat users that use the snort rpm will have a ready to use rc
script. just get a look at  /etc/rc.d/init.d  and  see  if  there  is  a
snort/rc.snort/*snort* script there and activate it using the  chkconfig
command.

otherwise, you might need to create your own, custom, shell  script  and
put it in the right directory (if you have a SysV-style system) or  call
it from another rc script (bsd tradition but this is now fading with the
integration of rc.d scripts in FreeBSD and NetBSD).

hth

--
ps: now that I finished writing my blurb(tm), I realized that my answers
    are unix-centric. though my windows knowledge is not *that*  strong,