Snort mailing list archives

Re: segmentation fault when logging snort

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:30:17 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Gross Barry D. wrote:

using snort 1.9.0 a majority of the time when I use insert the -l option
in snort packet logger mode I get a segmentation fault.  It does write
to the screen just fine and on occasion (1 out of 10 times) it does
write successfully to the log.  I haven't been able to find any
documentation on this.  anyone experience something similar?

First off:  Upgrade to 1.9.1 or disable rpc_decode in snort.conf.

Does Snort dump a core when that happens, or does it just segfault?  If it
dumps a core, please check out the BUGS file and follow those
instructions.  Basically it's:

        # gdb snort snort.core
        gdb> bt

And then send the output with any other information over to the
snort-developers list.

Also include the output from:

        grep -v '^#' snort.conf | grep -v '^$'

That will give us a better idea of what's going on.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams