Snort mailing list archives

Quick Question.

From: Chris Keladis <Chris.Keladis () cmc optus net au>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:27:18 +1100

Hi folks,

I'm seeking some clarification on the 'content' rule option, that the docs didn't clarify for me.

In Snort 1.9.1, i've noticed in some rules, in their content option, match multiple hex values. Eg, content:"|00|4141|" etc etc.

Am i correct in assuming a rule with the content option above, will trigger only if byte 00 preceeds concurrent bytes 4141, and 00 can occur anywhere before the concurrent 4141 bytes, to get a match?

I suspect the above is true, which leads me to my next question, is there currently any way to 'anchor' bytes, and only match say, if the first byte == 0x00, and i can match 4141 anywhere else in the packet? (sort of like a regex for bytes rather than characters).

I'm not intimately familiar with the Boyer-Moore pattern matching the Snort docs cite, so i would appreciate if someone could kindly clarify this for me.

Thanks,

Chris.