Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and IPtables...

From: Erick Mechler <emechler () techometer net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:26:12 -0800

:: I'm curious how Snort (well at least libpcap) is affected by IPtables?
:: <assumptions> Libpcap operates at layer 2 and IPtables above that </assumptions>
:: If that is the case I'm assuming that IPtables could be tightened down without interference with Snort? I'm sure
that I'm way off, so please enlighten me.

Yup, you're right.  libpcap is below firewalling software in the stack, so
it'll see everything that crosses the wire, even things (eventually)
dropped by the firewall (whatever it happens to be, and even if it's a
kernel-level firewall).

Cheers - Erick