Snort mailing list archives

Configuration Questions

From: August.K.Kunnecke () pmusa com
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:36:09 -0500

I realize this is probably a common set of questions, but I could not find
it in the archives:

I am trying to load Snort on a Windows 2000 box. There are several
configurations to pick from. I am wondering if one offers any advantage over
the others. Here are the combinations I know about:

Snort, MySQL, ACID, IIS
Snort, IIS, SnortSnarf
Snort, Apache, SnortSnarf
Snort, MySQL, Apache, ACID
Snort, MySQL, Slave, ACID

I realize one difference between IIS and Apache is Microsoft vs.
non-Microsoft, but I was wondering what other reasons there are to pick one
over the other. (not only for Web server, but for database, graphs, etc)

I did find good installation instructions on Silicon Defense, but I was
wondering if anyone could point me to a site where there is more on running
and troubleshooting Windows 2000 issues. (especially adding more sensors)

I appreciate any help.