Snort mailing list archives

"And now for something Completely Different!" Or 'How to Upgrade'

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:32:23 -0500 (EST)

With a 2.0 release coming up, I _know_ this one will come up at least
once--If not dozens of times.  :)

This is set of basic ideas for you to think about when you make an upgrade
from one version to another.  It's a fairly "high level", with not much
detail.  If you need something more specific, check the archives [0] for
more detailed information.  Some of these are _really_ basic, almost
common sense.  Others come from the recesses of my twisted little mind.
I'm sure other folks can offer some suggestions as well.  Anyway, enough
with that, And now for something Completely Different.

Considerations:

*  Is this a Major update?  (1.8.x -> 1.9.x -> 2.0)  If so, you _really_
want to take the time to put this up and working in a test setup before
going live.  If you can't do that, at least install in parallel trees, use
'merged' configs and test while your current one is running.  Don't use
your DB for this, unless you can create a new instance for the new
version.
*  Update everything.  <snordir>/etc/*, <snortdir>/rules/* are critical
files that have to be updated.
*  Don't assume things will work the same.  Minor changes in the code
could have a major impact on what you get.

Basic Steps:

1)  Unpack, configure, build.
2)  Backup all old configs, rules, sid*, *.config, and snort binary.
3)  Merge old changes into new snort.conf
4)  Merge local changes/additions of rules into the new versions rules.
5)  Test that config with the new snort:

        src/snort -T -c etc/snort.conf.new

6)  Run it on a test box and see...  If you can't, run it in parallel to
compare info from the old and the new version.
7)  If you're satisfied with the setup--Install it.  :)  Place it in what
ever directory structre you're using.
8)  Kill the old version, move the old data files to somewhere else
9)  Restart the snort process.

That's it in a nutshell.  Anyone have anything to suggest?

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams