Snort mailing list archives

Re: Promiscuous mode on only one interface

From: "Patrick S. Harper" <lists () internetsecurityguru com>
Date: 29 Mar 2003 17:08:49 -0800

This will most likely be the first of many responses that read somewhat
like the following:

http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#3.4

--faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq--
Q: How can I run snort on multiple interfaces simultaneously.

A: If you aren't running snort on linux 2.1.x/2.2.x kernel (with LPF
available) the only way is to run multiple instances of snort, one
instance per interface (with the -i option specifying the interface).
However for linux 2.1.x/2.2.x and higher you can use libpcap library
with S. Krahmer's patch which allows you to specify 'any' as interface
name. In this case snort will be able to process traffic coming to all
interfaces.
--faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq--