Snort mailing list archives

[output] Log application data into the database

From: "Emmanuel Dardaine" <emmanuel.dardaine () smart-telecom ch>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:47:45 +0200

Hi there,

As an ISP, we'll be soon forced to log all Radius, SMTP, POP3, IMAP and DHCP
headers on our network for 6 months.

We have installed Snort successfully (that tool is really wonderful), but
now, I would like to know how to proceed to extract the interesting data:
- we have written the appropriate rules for each protocol
- we're logging into a PostGres database
- we don't know how to proceed to extract only "from" and "to" information
from a complete email for example.
Indeed, we don't want to log a complete TCP handshake or a complete 10MB
mail (for example) when only the "from" and "to" information is needed.

Who has ever performed this kind og logging with Snort?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Emmanuel

Emmanuel Dardaine - Operation Manager