Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort in a H.A. environment.

From: Saad Kadhi <saad () docisland org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:53:19 +0100

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:50:37AM +0100, Federico Lombardo wrote:
And why ?

Is the only way to monitor trpassing traffic in real time.
no. that's false.

example: node1 is active. a cracker(tm) has started an intrusion attempt
on your webserver. the traffic is permitted by  the  firewall  on  node1
(handshake completed along the rules). snort has not identified yet  the
session as an intrusion because the cracker may be  using  some  evasion
technique or attack patterns are still missing. node1 fails. node2 takes
over (this takes a few seconds if not more). it starts the firewall  and
snort processes. you are using state  synchronisation,  so  the  cracker
session will be allowed to proceed. snort on node2 didn't see the  first
session packets so the pattern is incomplete  to  identify  this  as  an
intrusion attempt. and during takeover, maybe the cracker launched other
attempts as well. ok these won't get necessarily get  thru  but  it  may
indicate a global pattern that will help you see  what  the  cracker  is
looking for. too bad, they are lost.

Using span ports in a switch ?
I don't think this solution will solve my problems... I've a very high
traffic MAN.
and? if you have a so busy network, your firewalls are probably  already
under a heavy load. so you want to stress  them  more  by  adding  other
processes (snort and co.) that  will  fight  for  ressources  with  your
checkpoint?

I  don't  see  how  running  snort   on   a   cluster   (configured   as
active-passive) is better than dedicating a box to snort and plug in  it
on the network segments you want to monitor.

if performance is a problem, dedicate as much boxen as you need to snort
and use a hardware load balancer for example such as top layer.

if 'real time(tm)' is a problem, create IDS farms on the load balancer.
in this case, if one box in a farm fails, no pb. the traffic is still
monitored by other boxen in the same farm.

if running with a single load balancer is a problem, add another one and
configure them in active-passive mode.