Snort mailing list archives

RE: MS-SQL Worm Signature

From: "Frank Reid" <fcreid () ourcorner org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:48:36 -0500

Thanks, Patrick... I was able to cobble together this same signature as
a rough cut, although I reversed the rule to look only for traffic
originating from hosts on my own backbone.  The pure volume of traffic
inbound to my networks makes it impractical to log... the only solution
was to block all 1434/udp at the border routers.  The content field may
be irrelevant, as I'm dropping two packets from this ACL for every
single ip transaction permitted!

Pretty impressive worm!

Frank