Snort mailing list archives

RE: Newbie Question

From: "Wilcoxen, Scott" <SWilcoxen () macf com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:46:55 -0400

Well, we used old machines we had lying around to set this up, so disk
space is limited on both sensors as well as the machine hosting the
database.  I dind't want to log all traffic to the database for that
reason.  So, I've managed to use the snortd scripts which are hidden
quite nicely in the snortsource/contrib directory to start and stop
snort.  So, I'm logging all traffic in tcpdump binaries on the local
hard drive of the sensors themselves and alerts go to the database.  I
have daily cron jobs stopping snort, moving the log files off of the
sensors to a share on one of my Windows servers, and then starting snort
back up again!  It's working quite nicely now!!  The problem I'm having
now is with Acid.  It seems when I query the database from within Acid,
example all alerts from a particular source ip, and I go to page 2 it
loses the criteria specified in the query and just starts giving me all
the alerts that have been logged.  Probably mention that later in a
separate post if I can't figure something out.

Scott S Wilcoxen
Macfadden & Associates, Inc.
Email: Swilcoxen at macf dot com
www.macf.com