Snort mailing list archives

XML output support for snort 2.0

From: "David Stubblefield" <dstubblefield () ragingnet com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 06:20:52 -0700

I am currently running snort 1.9.1 on RH8 using the following XML output Plugin:
output xml: log, file=/apps/snort/var/log/snortxml-eth0 encoding=hex

I am working on upgrade to 2.0 ASAP but have run into a problem in testing it.  I get an error FATAL ERROR: unknown
output plugin: 'xml'.
A co-worker had mentioned that apparently xml support has been discontinued due to slow performance in snort 2.0.  Is
xml output no longer supported in snort 2.0?  If not are there any ideas on suggestions on how I could get it to work
or any other suggestions.  In our environment we use xml imports for a variety of network monitoring systems and would
like to remain consistent.  I have done some archive searches and not had any luck in finding answers.  Any and all
assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
David Stubblefield
NOC Associate