Snort mailing list archives

Re: Portscan2 woes

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 18:12:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Matt Kettler wrote:

[...snip...]

Disabling it fixed the packet drop rate problem, and also made snort use
significantly less memory. I guess it's just not cut out for lower-end
hardware.

Just a FYI (which I'm sure Matt knows!  ;-):  Snort 2.0 takes up _quite_ a
bit more memory than 1.9.x.

If you're running on memory starved hardware (64 or less MB) then you'll
have issues trying to run Snort.

If you are on a setup like that, then try:

  config detection: search-method lowmem

It should cut your mem usage back to the 1.9.x days.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams