Snort mailing list archives

RE: [Snort-Users] new to snort and intrusion detection

From: "Cloppert, Michael" <Michael.Cloppert () 53 com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:49:39 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Boman [mailto:michael.boman () securecirt com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 12:53 AM
To: Jonathan Jesse
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-Users] new to snort and intrusion detection

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 01:47, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
What I?m looking for is some help on how to learn how to
use snort to
its fullest, any sources/documentation to the best use out of it?

Using snort and doing intrusion detection is two different beasts that
works hand-in-hand. Below I list some good books that can
help you along
the way:

Network Intrusion Detection: An Analyst's Handbook
Stephen Northcutt, Donald McLachlan, Judy Novak
New Riders Publishing; ISBN: 0735710082

Intrusion Signatures and Analysis
Mark Cooper, Stephen Northcutt, Matt Fearnow, Karen Frederick
New Riders Publishing; ISBN: 0735710635

Incident Response: Investigating Computer Crime
Chris Prosise, Kevin Mandia
McGraw-Hill Professional Publishing; ISBN: 0072131829

I own both of these, and the Northcutt/Novak book is always the FIRST ONE I
recommend to EVERYONE asking about NIDS - it's the difinitive guide, IMHO.
I would also like to recommend:
Internetworking with TCP/IP, Vol. 1
Douglas E. Comer
Prentice Hall, ISBN: 0-13-216987-8

Douglas E Comer was (I believe) one of the fundamental people involved in
the development of the TCP/IP - this book is a must-have for anyone who ever
has to look at a packet.

Mike Cloppert, GCIA