Snort mailing list archives

RE: Very basic question

From: Tinsley Paul <Paul.Tinsley () HCAhealthcare com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:26:19 -0500

/sbin/ifconfig eth1 promisc
/usr/local/snort/bin/snort -D -o -b -i eth1 -c
/usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -u snort -g snort -I -l /usr/local/snort/log
-t /usr/local/snort

Thats the way I do it, hope that helps.

Flags from above:

-o Change the rule testing order to Pass|Alert|Log
-D Daemon
-b log packets in tcpdump format (much faster)
-u Run snort uid as <uname> user (or uid) after initialization
-g Run snort gid as <gname> group (or gid) after initialization
-I Add Interface name to alert output
-l Log to directory
-t Chroots process to <dir> after initialization
-i ethernet interface