Snort mailing list archives

Re: Distributed Snort management

From: "Michael L. Artz" <dragon () october29 net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:36:58 -0400

Haven't actually tried it myself, but I have heard good things about prelude (prelude-ids.org). There is even a patch for snort to have it integrate directly with libprelude. Prelude has the notion of multiple levels of "managers", which function to both collect and relay events via ssl-ed binary IDMEF. I believe that there is also some decent failover support through the use of local storage until the network connection becomes available. An additional draw is the ability to integrate other types of sensors/logs through the use of prelude-LML, which can function as either a syslog consumer or a local log-scraper agent.

Like I said, I haven't actually played around with it in a production environment, but I would be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

-Mike

Nelson, Ben wrote:

I have many snort sensors that are distributed across large geographic boundaries.  Maintaining and monitoring these
installations is starting to become trouble-some.  I have started using SnortCenter to manage and push out rules (which
is working great BTW), but I need to figure out a good way to centralize the data and alerts that Snort comes up with.

At first I thought that I could just make all of the sensors log to a centralized MySQL server (all logging to the same database) over stunnel or something like that, but what if a sensor loses connectivity to the MySQL server? I'd lose all of the alerts generated during that time frame(I guess I could log them to flat files on disk as well, but that would defeat the purpose of using a database...no?) Then I though maybe I could set up TWO output directives to log all alerts to two separate databases (one local to the sensor and the remote one), but then re-synchronizing the sensor's database to the main MySQL server becomes a problem when connectivity is re-established.
I could also just use MySQL's built in replication (over stunnel again).  That would solve my problem of re-synchronizing databases
when connectivity came back (MySQL handles all of that), but then I'd have to have a separate database for each sensor since MySQL
doesn't support replication of multiple masters to a single slave (does any database supported by snort do this?).  Ideally, I'd
like to have all alerts from all sensors go into the SAME database.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?  What did you do to centralize your alerts?  I'm really open to
suggestions......having ACID loaded onto EVERY sensor seems like a waste (not to mention a pain to check regularly).

Thanks,
--Ben