Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snortsam

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 01 Jun 2003 11:44:50 -0500

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 00:41, Wilcoxen, Scott wrote:
Has anyone successfully setup Snortsam?  I've patched my Snort sources,
recompiled, compiled Snortsam itself and got the whole thing configured
without too much trouble.  Now I've modified a few of my rules and am in
the process of testing this out.  The problem I'm having is this.  I
configure a rule to make use of Snortsam, and when I intentionally
spring that rule it only follows through and blocks that IP about 10% of
the time!!  It never unblocks the IP once it's been blocked unless I
manually stop and start Snortsam.  I was thinking that possibly my
machines weren't keeping up with everything going on, so I disabled all
of the preprocessors in Snort.

Snortsam doesn't make use of any preprocessors. It only blocks on the
rules where you specify it.

What firewall(s) are you trying to block on? Does it block but not
unblock on every IP? You say it only block 10% of the time...what
happens the other 90% of the time? (And are you sure those skips are
outside the repetitive block interval?) Are there any errors in the
Snortsam log file?

Regards,
Frank