Snort mailing list archives

Re: firewall rules modification based on snort logs

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 10 Jun 2003 22:38:50 -0500

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 12:55, Matt Kettler wrote:

However if you need to split snortsam across a insecure network, make sure
to use a SSH tunnel or similar mechanism. It acts by injecting
configuration commands to your existing firewall, so it works with
IPTables, instead of alongside it. Older versions of Snortsam tried to use
encryption without a MAC (only a sequence number) to provide authentication
and integrity..

That still hasn't been fixed yet. However, for usage within your own
network, this is acceptable imo. If you route through the Internet, use
an SSH tunnel.

The fix for checking a complete packet (as we had discussed earlier) is
still on my to-do list (which get's larger every day). Feel free to
assist with a revised implementation. The change would have to occur in
twofish.c.

 Needless to say that doesn't work very well, but AFAIK the
feature has been removed. It is however still mentioned in the FAQ in all
it's incorrect glory.

Yeah, rub it in.... if you happen to get really annoyed with this, feel
free to fix the FAQ and send me a copy.

Regards,
Frank