Snort mailing list archives

Re: statistics that Snort can do

From: Terence Runge <terencerunge () sbcglobal net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:11:59 -0700

I had this saved with an older config, written orignally by Sandro Poppi. I haven't tried this since 1.8.x, but it's worth a look.

#!/bin/bash
# Script to generate and extract snort statistics from syslog or given file
# generated after kill -USR1 <snort-pid>
#
# This script assumes that the pid is logged into the logfile!
# This can be obtained using  the following line in snort.conf:
# output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT LOG_PID
#
# (c) Sandro Poppi 2001
# Released under GPL

echo "Starting gathering snort internal statistics. Please be patient..."

if [ "$1." == "." -o ! -e "$1" ] ; then
 # no or unexistent file given, using default
 log_file="/var/log/messages"

else
# when using non-standard logfile location make sure snort uses this logfile
 # when sending signal USR1 else this script won't work!
 log_file="$1"
fi

# find out snort pids
snort_pid=`/sbin/pidof snort`

# get internal statistics for all snort processes
# not using killall to get already sorted output
for i in `echo $snort_pid` ; do
 kill -USR1 $i

 # sleep for 2 secs to let snort time to send statistics to syslog ;)
 sleep 2
done

# immediately restart snort after sending signal USR1
# this may be ommitted when using CVS version of snort after about 01.11.2001
# or any version from 1.8.2 or higher
/etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd restart

for i in `echo $snort_pid` ; do
 # process logfile

 filename=/var/log/snort/archive/snort.`date "+%Y-%m-%d"`.$i.log
# check for existing file and rename it if existing
 if [ -e "$filename" ] ; then
   mv "$filename" "$filename.bak"
 fi

 egrep "snort\[$i\]:" $log_file > "$filename"

 # check if there are dropped packets using lines like
 # Oct 22 18:02:06 xbgh17183 snort[573]: dropping 0(0.000%) packets
if [ "`egrep "dropping" $filename | awk -F "[ (]" '{ print $7 }'`" != "0" -a \
      "`egrep -c "dropping" $filename`" != "0" ] ; then
echo "Snort's dropping packets!!! Take a look on the configuration and/or the system's performance!!!"
 fi

done

echo "Gathering snort internal statistics finished..."

Kreimendahl, Chad J wrote:

of note...
you appear to only be able to -USR1 a snort 1 time... it dies the second
time you -USR1 it.  (my experience... on solaris...)

There's also a semi-undocumented way to dump stats (perfstats) at
selected intervals... I believe there is info in the snort.conf file
about this.