Snort mailing list archives

RE: [Snort-sigs] Depth and multi content rule help.

From: SRH-Lists <giermo () 333tech com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:53:03 -0500

Hello,

If I have a rule with three pattern matches in it
and I want to limit the search depth for just one
of the content searches, but I want the other two
pattern matches to search the whole packet is this possible?
This is an example of what I am trying to do.

alert any any -> any any (msg:"Test" content:"123"; content:"101112";
depth:48; content:"|ff 53 4d 42 a2|";)

Will this work? Or will my depth keyword apply to the all three content
matches?

1)  Don't cross post between the different snort lists.
2)  Depth works just like you want it to, it modifies only the 'content'
keyword immediately proceeding it.
        So in your example only the 'content:"101112;" get modified.

-steve