Snort mailing list archives

RE: Question on database for Snort

From: "Kreimendahl, Chad J" <Chad.Kreimendahl () umb com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:24:44 -0600

My guess is that less joins are being done to get the speed lost in
applications like ACID.  Specifically, with a primary key that is two
values, you lose lots of points (create tons more CPU cycles and add
enormous IO time) doing outer joins on tables (like you'd have to for
tcphdr, icmphdr, udphdr....).

Simply taking out those tables which join to iphdr will often save a
great deal of time, but can be a problem when the information is
needed... and the user has to wait a while for it to show up.