Snort mailing list archives

Re: id check returned root ?!?!

From: "Michael D. Schleif" <mds () helices org>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:37:29 -0500

Also sprach Erek Adams (Sat 28 Jun 02003 at 03:29:12PM -0400):
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Michael D. Schleif wrote:

I am fairly new to snort, and I've just begun analyzing my logs.

I have my home office network, from which I am writing this post, that
is NAT'ed behind an ipchains firewall.  This system is: 192.168.123.150

I also have a web/email server hosted by tera-byte.com: 216.234.189.108

Last week I received several of these:

4  216.234.189.108  192.168.123.150  ATTACK RESPONSES id check returned root

Now, I have come to realize that this is a dangerous situation.

I run chkrootkit daily and have _nothing_ to report.

What should I do?

Look at the packet not the alert.  From an alert you really can't tell
what happened, only that something did.

If you're logging to binary (pcap) to get the packet it's as simple as:

      snort -dvr <pcap_filename> 'host 216.234.189.108' |less

And that will show you all the packets that it could have been.

Now the fun part:  Figuring out what went on.  :)  You may find out that
this is a normal packet from a webmail application or somehting of the
sort.

If you're not logging to binary, well...  Either start and look at the
packets or 'hope'.  :)

    # sudo snort -V

    -*> Snort! <*-
    Version 2.0.0 (Build 72)
    By Martin Roesch (roesch () sourcefire com, www.snort.org)

Regarding ``logging to binary'', I am running snort from a debian
package, and by default /etc/snort/snort.conf has this enabled:

        output log_tcpdump: tcpdump.log

This creates these files:

        /var/log/snort/tcpdump.log._timestamp_

Examining these for the string `id=' does show me that every logged
instance, in context, is a security related email and all instances of
`id=' are really either `gid=' or `uid='.

I am relieved about that ;>

I was going to start a new thread, in this regard; but, your post gives
me pause and I suspect that my new question is applicable to this same
thread ;>

What is the difference between the snort.conf log_tcpdump line and the
commandline: -b ???

        ``Log packets in a tcpdump(1) formatted file.''

This morning, I activated -b and now I am getting a new sequence of
files:

        /var/log/snort/snort.log._timestamp_

Although, this log now contains a couple events, there is *NO* new
activity in tcpdump.log._timestamp_ .

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,