Snort mailing list archives

RE: stealth interface

From: "Chris Mann" <CMann () stonebridgebank com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:06:05 -0400

If I'm not mistaken you can set up an alias for the devices and then
refer to them. Actually I think you can change the names. But don't
quote me on that.

Christopher Mann
Systems Administrator
Stonebridge Bank
610.235.1515
cmann () stonebridgebank com

Eric Baur <Eric.Baur () Certegy com> 04/08/03 07:51PM >>>

    Some of the other replies seem like too much work... and are harder
maintain (or someone else to figure out if they need to figure out what
you
did).
    You should be able to change the ifcfg-eth1 file (or whatever
number you
want to be ip-less) to be:

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

    That seems to be working in my installation (also RH8.0) without
any
issues.  (Now, my next mystery is seeing if I can find a way to refer
to the
devices as "lan", "wan" and "dmz" instead of "eth1", "eth2" and
"eth3".)

Eric

d_greenjr wrote:

Can someone tell me or give me the URL on how to create an interface
with no
ipaddr (stealth), on a linux [RH8] system? (Not the receive only
cable-I saw
that in the snort FAQs)  I have searched the Internet and the snort
archives
but have not found a message/page that describes what to do-only the
end
results.  Thanks