Snort mailing list archives

Re: {SPAM} Still Help Needed: i want to make a firewall

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:09:39 -0400

First perhaps you'd get more answers by not flooding the list with duplicate posts. (5 more-or-less identical posts in 5 hours is *really* rude, to the point that if you keep it up you'll likely find your mail filtered to my trash can automatically)

First, it sounds like what you really want is a firewall... if your rules are simple, get a firewall software... snort is not a firewall, although tools like hogwash can be used to re-configure your firewall based on more complex snort rules. Even if you want to use snort as part of your network protection, you need a firewall for it to talk to first.

Most Unix operating systems come with a packet filtering firewall package of some sort (IPTables, IPF, PF, etc) and more recent ones are stateful too. Windows does NOT come with any such tool. Yes, it has a trivial "internet security" filter, but it's strictly port based and is not particularly flexible.

There are third-party packages for windows, most notably checkpoint's Firewall1, but they cost money.

As for hogwash as far as I know hogwash is a very unix-oriented tool. I'm fairly sure it relies on the built-in packet filtering services that the OS provides. Since windows has no such built in feature, hogwash can't be made to support it.

Even though hogwash is unix specific, snortsam is not, and it does have the ability to work with checkpoint's firewall1.

http://www.snortsam.net

If you really want the source for hogwash, it's available here:

http://hogwash.sourceforge.net/download.html