Snort mailing list archives

multiple files off of stdin?

From: "Michael L. Artz" <dragon () october29 net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:54:24 -0400

Don't know if the last message got through, sorry if this is a dup ...

Anyway, is there a way to have snort process multiple files off of stdin? I.e.

cat file1.pcap file2.pcap | snort -r - <other args>

fails just before processing file2 with the error: "pcap_loop: truncated dump file", which I assume has to do with the little header that libpcap formatted files have at the beginning. I can mergecap the files and run them through fine, it is only when I try and run multiple pcap files through, in a fashion such as:

(for i in *.cap.gz| do gzip -dc $i; done) | snort -r -  <args>

which I can't easily mergecap because of space issues. Plus, I have the files spread across multiple DVDs and would like to have a little script that creates a snort pipe and then pumps pcap files to it, which could be written so that snort (and all session and reassembly information) survives a change of dvd.

Thanks
-Mike