Snort mailing list archives

RE: Minimum hardware config for Snort

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:25:31 -0500

--On Friday, August 08, 2003 15:55:23 -0400 "Sheahan, Paul" <Paul.Sheahan () priceline com> wrote:

Thanks for the response. Here is an example of the factors in my
environment:

- Gig network with up to 100mb/s traffic
- Running on Red Hat Linux 7
- Will most likely be on an Intel platform (Compaq)
- Will only have 50% of the default rules enabled plus some of my own
- All preprocessors enabled (at least that is the initial plan)
- Outputs will most likely be to log only, but MAY be going to ACID
- Prefer no packet loss
- No other services running (this will be a dedicated sensor box)

Any recommendations on hardware in this example?

Sorry this took so long.  Been very busy.

You're going to need to do some serious tuning to run without much packet loss. Personally I would use FreeBSD for those kinds of speeds, but if you're not familiar with the OS, you're better off with one you know.

I would definitely use barnyard so snort can sniff and do nothing else. Look at kernel parameters that you can tweak to improve stack performance. Snort can only use one processor (I believe), so SMP won't do you any good.

I'd stick with known good NICs like 3COM or Intel Gig cards. Turn off absolutely everything on the box that isn't necessary to run the sensor, including xinet.d and associated services. All you should need is OpenSSH, OpenSSL (for tunneling), tcpwrappers and snort. Set up iptables if you're paranoid like I am, and allow everything to the sniffer card and nothing but ssh from known good addresses on the management interface. I don't think you'll need more than 512MB of RAM, but RAM is so cheap these days that 1GB is probably standard. Any processor over 800MHz should be fine as well. You'll need at least a 40GB hard drive, but too is pretty standard. Depending on your situation, you may want to use RAID on SCSI drives, but we run snort on two DS3s with a box with one 40GB IDE drive (running FreeBSD) and don't have any problems.

I would strongly recommend you consider using RH 9, rather than 7. You'll have much better capabilities in the kernel. And read the kernel HOWTO to see what parameters you can tweak for better performance. You may even want to consider recompiling the kernel to make it match your hardware and not load anything extra.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member