Snort mailing list archives

RE: Catalyst 3500 + snort

From: "Faiz Ahmad Shuja" <faizshuja () yahoo it>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:56:08 +0500

Yes, Cisco Catalyst 3500 Series XL switches support SPAN. You can find
how-to at:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/products_configura
tion_guide_chapter09186a008007e838.html#xtocid22

----

Configuring SPAN
You can use Switch Port Analyzer (SPAN) to monitor traffic on a given
port by forwarding incoming and outgoing traffic on the port to another
port in the same VLAN. A SPAN port cannot monitor ports in a different
VLAN, and a SPAN port must be a static-access port. You can define any
number of ports as SPAN ports, and any combination of ports can be
monitored.

Enabling SPAN
Beginning in privileged EXEC mode, follow these steps to enable SPAN:

Step 1  configure terminal  [Enter global configuration mode.]

Step 2  interface interface [Enter interface configuration mode, and
enter the port that acts as the monitor port.]

Step 3  port monitor interface [Enable port monitoring on the port.]

Step 4  end [Return to privileged EXEC mode.]

Step 5  show running-config [Verify your entries.]

----

Regards,
Faiz