Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort under high density traffic

From: Mehmet Ersan TOPALOGLU <mersan () ceng metu edu tr>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:07:09 EEST

Thanks for the comment but actually the things is not that iwon't to improve my performance
using Snort. As i said in my first mail about this i am working on my MSc Thesis.
I am using Snort the make my tests and i need the statistics, __correct__ ones.
Here is two situation:

1. The one with default 2.420 kernel. Three PCs replay scnerios at 30Mbit/s each, total traffic is 90Mbit/s.
    At the end. Snort reports to analyse around 200.000 packets out of 300.000 packets and dropping the rest.
    but /proc/net/dev says around 3.800.000 packets arrived and my scenrios are about 1.600.000 packets
    each, totally 4.800.000 packets.

2. I made some modifications to kernel. replay scenerios and rates are the same.
   Snort produces result  saying "Snort analysed 3.800.000 packets out of 7.400.000 packets dropping the rest.
   /proc/net/dev says 3.800.000 packets arrived to. I guess snort is able to analyse all packets arrived but i don't
know
   where the dropped packets come from. I am sure that no additional packets (other than arp queries of switch that is
at most
   2-3 thousand for each session _negligable_) arrive to the network.

The result are not only one time results. At least 20-25 times i tried and the results are around the same values.
In first tries i was using snort v1.9 and libpcap v0.7 but after the advise of Erek Adams i upgrade to snort 2.0.1 and
patched verison of libpcap
0.8.

I hope i could explain the situation.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Statistics are _really_ not working well in Snort 1.9.x. Don't beleive them.
The kernel statistics are working well. You can trust them.

Maybe some former postings may help:

Is Snort loosing packets? What is the statistics saying? In Snort 2.0
the statistics seem to work good finally. Have you tried using
perfmonitor? How many packets is Snort "seeing"? Take off all the
machines and connect the tcpreplay-machine with the sensor with a
crossover cable. Don't worry, it will work. Try using more memory
on your sensor. Optimize your HD - Accoustic management off, UDMA5
transfer mode, 32Bit I/O-access, see hdparm --help. Try using 64Bit
machines. Try other NICs (3Com). Turn only unified logging on. Are you
using some IDS evasion techniques like insertion, fragmented packets,
fake resets or similar? Run as few processes on your sensor as
possible.

- Use powerful machines, memory is more important than CPU speed, 64Bit
  if possible/needed
- Reduce your ruleset as far as you can, use multiple sensors for
  different ports if you can, deactivate unnecessary rules going through
  every siingle file one by one one, use ~100 rules on machines with
  2GHz/512MBs RAM (approx value, my personal expirience, may vary)
- Use one sensor for HTTP/CGI only
- Log in unified format, use barnyard
- Deactivate unnecessary plugins (rpc, bo, portscan(1), asn, frag if
  sitting behind a Linux packet filter...)
- Marty said Snort 2 is approx 18x faster than Snort 1.9, try that
- Use Intel or 3Com NICs
- Seee this:
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~rsg/pub/2002_kruegel_valeur_vigna_kemmerer_secpriv02.ps.gz
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-net&m=92459447909270&w=2