Snort mailing list archives

Re: portscan2-ignore... ???

From: Michael D Schleif <mds () helices org>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:10:10 -0500

Erek Adams <erek () snort org> [2003:08:18:20:24:23-0400] scribed:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Michael D Schleif wrote:

Although, from [1] above, the scan is confirmed to be logged to
/var/log/snort/alert, it *DOES NOT* make it into my `daily report' ;<

So, I am definitely re-confused.  What is the intended behaviour for the
scenario I describe?  Should, or should _not_, *all* events in
/var/log/snort/alert show up in the `daily report'?

I am missing something, and would appreciate a clue . . .

Snort does not have a functionality to give you a 'daily report', so what
package are you using to generate your stats?  If the data is in
/var/log/snort/alert then Snort is working just fine.  If it's not in the
report, then I'd say it's a problem of the logparser/reader.

Sorry, I am using debian, and it contains: /etc/cron.daily/5snort, which
in turn uses this: /usr/sbin/snort-stat -- only now, I realize that
these are debian-specific.

Thank you, for your consideration . . .

--
Best Regards,