Snort mailing list archives

Re: RPMS

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:23:08 -0400

2003-08-20T14:19:08 Brian Whitehead:
Is anyone maintaining rpm packages for snort these days or at
least have a decent spec file that I can start with?

I have some I'm maintaining for my own personal use. Four packages;
snort, snort-doc (the manual mirrored down from snort.org),
snort-run (init script, rpm also creates logfile dir) and snortrules
(/etc/snort). That last rpm's spec file includes various
jumping-up-and-down with perl on the rules files to "tune" (by
disabling sigs that are noisy on some of my nets). At the moment it
also contains a great big bucket I install in local.rules with all
the various rpc dcom rules I've seen lately, and updating that is
how it's gotten up to release 12:-).

You can find 'em on <URL:http://bent.latency.net/bent/>. Along with
a couple of other rpms I've wrapped, and a few that I use that other
folks wrapped.

src.rpm only, and I strongly recommend tearing 'em open and ogling
the spec files carefully; these are things I build for my personal
use, I don't certify 'em to be perfect for other people. On the
other hand, I tend to favour fairly simple packaging, and that can
improve the odds that they'll work on other peoples' boxes.

-Bennett