Snort mailing list archives

PID problem

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:45:51 -0500

I am running snort 2.0.1 on FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE feeding mysql and acid
(and have been for a while now.)  Yesterday I decided to set up a second
instance of snort in order to track some stuff separately.
(Nunyabiznez)  What I did was duplicate everything - snort.conf became
snort_special.conf, /usr/local/bin/snort became
/usr/local/bin/snort_special, the db became snort_special, acid became
acid_special, etc., etc.

Everything is working fine except for one thing.  When I start up
snort_special, it creates the PID snort_xl0.pid instead of
snort_special_xl0.pid, so it overwrites the pidfile for the "regular"
snort.  As you can imagine, this creates a problem, because now I have
to manually kill the instances and start them in the correct order or
they don't work.

I looked in man snort to see if there was a commandline switch to set
the pidfile name, but I don't see one.  Has anyone done this before?
(Two instances listening on one interface, with different executable
names - snort and snort_special.)  Any suggestions on the best approach
to solve the pidfile problem?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas