Snort mailing list archives

RE: Win32 Snort as a service: Error 1067

From: "Sean Lazar" <slazar () cruzio com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:09:42 -0700

Hi I wanted to share my experiences with Snort on Windows, and the error 1067 when I used it as a service. I have a
windows xp machine and have installed the 2.0.1 win32 binary off the snort.org website. Winpcap 3.0.0 installed. Easy
install and I just went for it and I got it to run as a service with the commands:

C:\>cd C:\snort\bin
C:\>snort /service /install -l C:\snort\log

no problems there. The service starts and stops beautifully. But then I tried following Silicon Defense's guide and
that's when I got the 1026 error:
http://www.silicondefense.com/support/windows/winsnortdocs/winsnarfiis.php

Michael uses the command: snort /SERVICE /INSTALL -c d:\applications\snort\etc\snort.conf -l c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\log -ix

I modified that (only one partition and no iis).

snort /SERVICE /INSTALL -c c:\snort\etc\snort.conf -l c:\snort\log -i1

At that point when you try to start the service it stops and gives you an error 1067.

Hope that helps confused people. Note I didn't download snort off of www.silicondefense.com. Perhaps it is a slightly
different build w/ fixes.

Sean