Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Query for IDS centre.

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:08:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, sanjeevs wrote:

I have installed snort 2.0 on windows 2000 professional using IDS Centre 1.1
RC4. I am also getting Alerts as wellas E-mails for the alerts that are
logged. I am also able to download the
rulesets also.
  a.. Now my problem how will i come to know that rules are getting
downloaded and updated on my sensor? is there any check i should do in order
to confirm that ? ( i mean to say do i need to check the date of some files
in order to confirm that)
  b.. LAN IP's used inside my Network are 10.1.54.0/24 , 10.1.55.0/24 and
10.1.56.0/24. if i have to monitor all the 3 Networks using just 1 Sensor?
how it is possible.
          I have configure HOME_NET as
10.1.56.0/24,10.1.55.0/24,10.1.54.0/24 is this the correct format to be
used.
  a.. Can we create our own new rules in order to block or permit traffic as
per our needs.
  b.. I am planning to place the sensor behind the firewall and the various
ports that are kept OPEN in my firewall are as follows: 80, 25, HTTPS and
22.So could you Please guide me as to what should be the syntax of the rule
to be written if i have to monitor traffic coming from following mentioned
above ports PLUS snort should also LOG alerts via E-mail PLUS it should LOG
the data in SQL database also.
Waiting for your reply.

You know, you could _really_ do yourself a favor and read the docs.  Even
just a tiny little bit.

Start here [0].  Then, move on to the FAQ [1].  In those docuemnts, you'll
find everything you just asked answered.

Multiple nets in HOME_NET--FAQ 3.4
Create rules--Entire Chapter 2 of the Manual.
IDS Placement--FAQ 2.5
Update rules--Do it by hand, you'll always know.
Multiple Outputs for Rules--Snort.conf file

Oh, and 6 penalty drinks [2].

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams