Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sort inline virus prevention

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:27:24 -0400

At 07:24 PM 9/20/2003, mike evans wrote:
How
soon after a virus outbreak do signatures get updated
usually?  Would you recommend snort for what I'm
trying to do or should I look elsewhere?

The snort "virus" signatures don't have any official maintainer, thus they are not updated with any due speed after a virus is released.

Technically speaking, viruses are not really the point of snort. It's an intrusion sensor, not a virus scanner.

There's lots of effective virus scanners out there, including free software like clamav. Now, admittedly I don't how to make a virus scanner handle http and ftp downloads network-wide, but a simple client side scanner works VERY well for this kind of thing.

For email, it's quite easy to install something like MailScanner, amavisd-new, or other similar tools on your mailserver to scan all inbound email messages. If you set up your firewall to disallow clients attempting to connect to outside SMTP servers, and force them to send via your mailserver, you can also ensure scanning of outbound email.