Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort running on Linux 8.0

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:21:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Vince McGinnis wrote:

CONFIG=/etc/snort/snort.conf

Side note:  Might want to symlink /etc/snort/snort.conf to
/etc/snort.conf.  Snort looks for that by default, so it's just a handy
thing to have. :)

Now my trouble is when I go to start Snort with snort -D -c snort.conf it
comes right back to the prompt with no error but looking at processes
running it does not start. I cannot find anywhere if there is a log on
errors when starting. I am at a lost as to why it is not starting.

Start Snort by hand.  Don't use a init script for testing.

Start Snort without the -D.  That'll send the output to stdout instead of
/dev/null.  That should let you see what's breaking.  There's also -T that
can test your config.  It just verifies syntax--It doesn't protect you
from doing something silly.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams