Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard output

From: Ralf Spenneberg <lists () spenneberg org>
Date: 06 Aug 2003 11:16:39 +0200

Hi Tony,

Am Die, 2003-08-05 um 23.06 schrieb Tony Martin:
I am trying to figured out exactly what I can gain from installing barnyard. Would anyboby be willing to either send
me a peace of a barnyard log or a screen shot to take a look at? You can sanitize any info you don't want me to see,
I would just like to see a real example of what it gives you.
The main point in running barnyard is saving time for snort.
Logging is expensive in terms of time. Logging in unified mode is one of
the fastest possible logging options snort offers.
When snort logs to a database itself, this is one of the slowest options
you have got.
Where is the problem? Snort is single-threaded, meaning it can only
process the next packet once the last packet has been processed and
logged.
Logging to a slow plugin might result in dropped packets.

Cheers,

Ralf
--
Ralf Spenneberg