Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.0.4 and threshold

From: "Povel, Michael" <Michael.Povel () umusic com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:35:19 +0100

Hello all,
I am just upgrading to snort 2.0.4 and I would like to use the new Nachi
Rule from Paul L Schmehl.
But whenever I try to use and threshold stuff, my snort complains:

THRESHOLD: gen_id=1, sig_id=10000008, type=2, tracking=0, count=1000,
seconds=60
ERROR: Rule-Threshold-Parse: could not create a threshold object -- only one
per sid, sid = 10000008
Fatal Error, Quitting..

So I thought that I might need to initalise the threshold system, and found
that a:

config threshold: memcap 30000

in the snort.conf breaks my snort even before the Rules are read ;-(
So I looked at the sources and found that ProcessThresholdOptions is not
even used in parser.c or any other source file. I checked in the CVS, and on
the lastest version at least a call to this function is in parser.c. So I
tried to use this in parser.c and at least got snort to accecpt the config
statement, but still without any success for the rule.

Did anyone get the Rule:

alert icmp $HOME_NET any -> any any (msg: "ALERT!!! NACHI Infection!!";
content: "|aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa
aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa aaaa
aaaa aaaa aaaa|"; dsize:64; itype: 8; icode: 0; threshold: type both, track
by_src, count 1000, seconds 60; classtype:trojan-activity; sid: 10000008;
rev: 4;)

to work with a vanilla 2.0.4 snort ?

Many thanks for any help.

Michael